- This parcel of undeveloped land presents a unique opportunity to create a park similar to Havenwood Park in Colwood, on the western side of Triangle Mountain in South Langford.
- We represent a group of committed volunteers – including fundraisers, communication specialists and others – who want to help find a way to develop the parcel that creates the most value for everybody: economic benefits to the landowners; community benefits to the City and citizens; and environmental benefits for the region.
- We need to maintain the wilderness we have in South Langford. In the last 10 years, rapid development has reduced the amount of green space available to our community.
- Working with local biologists and experts, our research indicates that this parcel of land represents a unique opportunity because…
- it is composed of an ecologically sensitive ecosystem and contains several species at risk;
- protected greenspace here would help to build a wildlife corridor that connects with other protected green spaces in the region;
- protecting a portion of this land would create an invaluable resource for our community: a forested park for everyone to enjoy, now and forever.
- We want the City, the developer and the landowners to work together to preserve part of this parcel as a forested park for the community. Instead of just requesting other amenities like cash or affordable housing, we want the City to also ask the developer to leave large, contiguous portion of forested greenspace as a park.
- We want the City to require the developer to hold a ‘neighbourhood consultation process’ to help ensure the needs of our community are met.